Having a suitable pet insurance policy will ensure you’re there for your pet when they need it most, without worrying about any unexpected vet bills.
Pet insurance can be used for most illnesses and injuries and enables veterinary fees to be claimed back (except for a small excess). We are one of the only vets in the area that handles direct insurance claims on behalf of our clients and will hold monies owed so that you don’t have to pay your vet bill immediately following treatment.
Please note: From 1st January 2024, we will be introducing a small £10 admin fee with each claim made.
Types of pet insurance
It is important to note that not all pet insurance is the same. There are many different types of policies available and the level of cover can vary considerably with each. The four main types include:
- Accident: Provides a fixed sum for accidental injury and no cover for illness.
- Time-limited: Cover is provided for a set amount of time (usually 12 months) and after this period, the condition is excluded.
- Maximum benefit: Provides cover up to a maximum cost per condition. Once the limit is reached the condition is excluded.
- Lifetime: Your pet is covered up to a set amount each year for illnesses and injuries. The policy is refreshed each time your policy is renewed, allowing you to continue to claim for ongoing conditions.
It’s important you choose the right type of cover for your pet. We would recommend a lifetime policy to give you the most comprehensive cover.
When shopping around for a policy, we recommend asking the following questions to help compare the overall value, not just the price:
- Does this policy cover congenital, hereditary, hip-related, dental and behavioural conditions?
- Is there a time or monetary limit on how long this policy will cover ongoing conditions for?
- Will my premium increase if I make a claim?
Benefits of pet insurance
There are so many great reasons as to why you should take out pet insurance. It will:
- Save you money
- Allow you to focus on your pet’s health
- Give you peace of mind
- Help you budget the cost of pet care
The younger your pet is when you insure them the better. It’ll mean you’re less likely to have any existing conditions that may not be covered by the policy and can therefore receive more help to cover the cost of any future treatment your pet may need.