Join our Pet Healthcare Plan

Animal Health Certificates

As of the 1st of January 2021, GB issued pet passports are no longer valid for travelling to the EU with your pet. Instead, they have been replaced with Animal Health Certificates that will now be needed to travel with your dog, cat or ferret to the EU or Northern Ireland from England, Scotland or Wales.

An Animal Health Certificate is a document that must be completed and certified by an Official Veterinarian (OV) approved by the APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency), and must be issued no more than 10 days before you depart.

Below we have listed some frequently asked questions:

Can I use my Pet Passport?

As of the 1st of January 2021, you can no longer use your pet passport for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland unless the pet passport was issued in an EU country or in Northern Ireland. However, pet passports can still be used to provide proof of an up-to-date Rabies vaccination for the Animal Health Certificate if the vaccine was given before the 1st of January 2021 (and is still valid).

What animals do you need an Animal Health Certificate for?

Dogs, cats and ferrets.

What does my pet need to be eligible for an Animal Health Certificate?

For your pet to be issued an Animal Health Certificate, your dog, cat or ferret needs:

  • Microchip
  • To have had its rabies vaccination at least 21 days before your Animal Health Certificate appointment

If you are travelling to Northern Ireland, Ireland, Norway, Finland or Malta with your dog, they will also need a tapeworm treatment within 5 days and no more than 24 hours before you enter into these countries. This will need to be certified by a vet on your Animal Health Certificate.

Which countries ask for an Animal Health Certificate?

If you are traveling from Great Britain (England, Wales or Scotland) into any EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet will require an Animal Health Certificate.

If you are traveling to a non-EU country, this requires different documentation and tests.

If you have any questions, please contact your local St Kitts Branch where one of our friendly team members will be happy to help.

St Kitts Veterinary Centre: 01252 844044
Firgrove Veterinary Centre: 01252 877799
Crookham Park Veterinary: Centre 01252 913990
Basingstoke Veterinary Centre: 01256 844944

You can find more information on taking your pet abroad on the government website.


Featured Articles

Our Social Media

Follow us on Social media to see what we get up to!

If you like what you see then why not register your pet with us?