Join our Pet Healthcare Plan

What to do if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp

With summer days upon us, you can expect to see a hive of activity from bees and wasps, who thrive in the warmer weather. Although this is great for the ecosystem, it can cause problems if your beloved pet gets stung.

So let’s explore the signs and what to do if your dog is stung by a bee or a wasp.

Signs your dog has been stung

  • Whining
  • Swelling in a specific area
  • Localised pain or irritation
  • Holding up their affected area or biting it – for instance, their paw
  • Pawing the affected area – for example their throat, mouth or face

Being stung by a bee or a wasp can cause your dog some discomfort and distress, but the pain should ease and go away after a short period.

Signs of an allergic reaction

If your dog is allergic to the bee or wasp sting, it could result in a severe reaction, or even death, if left untreated. Symptoms include:

  • Pale gums
  • Rapid breathing or difficulty breathing
  • Excessive swelling around the sting and surrounding area
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness or collapsing

What to do if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp

If you suspect an allergic reaction, contact your vet immediately

If your dog is showing any signs of an allergic reaction, you should contact your local branch immediately to arrange emergency treatment.

Always check with your vet before administering any over the counter antihistamines, as the wrong dose can be fatal. Your vet will advise on the right drug and quantity for your dog’s size and weight.

For milder symptoms

If your dog has been stung and the sting is still embedded in their skin, you may need to bring them in to your local vet to have it removed. Our team will be able to ensure the venom sac is removed correctly, to prevent further irritation.

After having the sting removed, it is likely that there will be some swelling and localised pain which can be alleviated back home with a cold damp cloth on to soothe the area.

Keep calm

It is likely that your dog will be feeling agitated, so try to keep them (and yourself!) cool and calm.

An allergic reaction may develop during the first few hours of your dog being stung, so remember to stay alert for any signs.

If you suspect your dog has been stung, contact your local St Kitts practice for expert advice and treatment:

St Kitts Vets Hartley Wintney: 01252 844044
St Kitts Vets Basingstoke: 01256 844944
Crookham Park Veterinary Centre: 01252 913990
Firgrove Veterinary Centre: 01252 877799


Featured Articles

Our Social Media

Follow us on Social media to see what we get up to!

If you like what you see then why not register your pet with us?